Make your own raw goodies! These crunchy, chewy bars are SO easy. No need to bake or dehydrate. They are nut free and packed with nutrition. All of the ingredients are available in supermarkets / health food stores.
Flaxseeds are a big deal amongst the nutrition community. They contain a potent mix of omega 3 fatty acids, lignans and fibre. A daily dose (30g over 6 months) can help reduce blood pressure to a point where it significantly reduces the risk of stroke and heart disease. This was proven in a randomised, double blinded, placebo controlled trial (basically the gold standard in human dietary studies).
Ingredients (use any cup!)
2 cups of sesame seeds
1/2 cup light tahini (sesame seed paste)
1 cup of raisins
1/2 cup milled flaxseeds/linseeds
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1/4 cup of melted coconut oil
1/3 cup honey, agave nectar or (my favourite) coconut nectar
1tsp good quality vanilla extract
Pinch of Himalayan or good quality sea salt
- Place all ingredients together in bowl and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into a tray and pat down firmly.
- Freeze for at least 2 hours. Remove from freezer and cut into granola size slices.
- Keep in the freezer until ready to munch and remove 15 minutes before serving.
- Add extra ingredients to the mixture if desired – a teaspoon of ground cinnamon, some chopped, dried apricots, nuts or cacao nibs etc. For an extra nutritional boost add a couple of teaspoons of maca or raw cacao powder.